Wednesday 12 March 2008

Rape Crisis needs your help

I have been spending a lot of time in the last month researching various strands of violence against women. The other day I was speaking to someone at the Rape Crisis centre in Essex and was asking her about the number for the national rape help line. I must say I was horrified to learn that one does not exist.

I cannot imagine what it must be like for a woman who has gone through such an horrific experience to then not have a national telephone number that she can ring to seek help. I mean what is she to do? Ring the police? Although there seem to be many improvements in the response from police to rape we still hear many horror stories of women feeling victimised a second time by those who are meant to help and support them.

I suppose she could ring her local council to find out where her nearest support service is located but then again if she was from London her nearest rape crisis centre would be in Croydon!

If you feel as disturbed as I do by these revelations then please make her voice heard. You can sign the Downing Street petition
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/violenceservices/ or write directly to your MP asking them to support the issue in Parliament on your behalf.

Noelle Virtue

Visit the WI End Violence Against Women Campaign.

No comments: